Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Battle of Mollwitz - The Refight (continued)

TURN NINE

The snow-covered battlefield at the start of turn nine
Both sides' artillery proved particularly ineffective this turn despite my gunners firing canister at almost point-blank range.
They had reason to be nervous - Prussian musketry came into its own, sweeping away the whole crew from one gun and reducing the other to 25 per cent effectiveness. My battalion of Karl von Lotheringen Foot was also destroyed.
My only consolation was that the battalion of von Glasenapp Foot that Frederick was with also suffered casualties and failed a morale test, despite the King's presence.
The other battalion of von Glasenapp Foot fared even worse. Charged in the rear by my surviving half-squadron of Modena Cuirassiers, they were wiped out to a man, although they did manage to reduce the cuirassiers to 25 percent effectiveness.
There was further bad news for Frederick when the remaining troopers of the heroic von Bayreuth Dragoons were caught in the flank and completely routed by my Liechtenstein Dragoons.
Units eliminated at the end of turn nine: four squadrons of Prussian heavy cavalry, the half-squadron of Prussian hussars, three battalions of Prussian foot; one squadron of Austrian heavy cavalry, two battalions of Austrian foot, one Austrian gun.
So the Prussians have lost 7.5 units out of a starting force of 16.5, meaning one more unit elimated and they will have lost the battle.

TURN TEN
The Prussian plight seemed well-nigh impossible of escaping, but there was early cheer this turn for Frederick when his grenadiers charged the crew of my remaining gun in the flank, automatically eliminating them (they had no friendly foot within 4cm).

The Prussian grenadiers charge my gun from the flank. In the background, but too far away to help, are the Nagy-Károly Hussars
There was further good news for Frederick when he managed to rally the remains of the von Glasenapp Foot.
There was no firing this turn as the Prussian artillery had no Austrians within range and I kept my cavalry out of musket range.
Units eliminated at the end of turn ten: four squadrons of Prussian heavy cavalry, the half-squadron of Prussian hussars, three battalions of Prussian foot (7.5 units in total); one squadron of Austrian heavy cavalry, two battalions of Austrian foot, both Austrian guns (5 units in total).

TURN 11
By now it dawned on me that the fairly comfortable victory I seemed to be heading for was suddenly becoming anything but.
With my guns gone, I could not inflict any long-range casualties, and there were no inept Prussian horse left to chase. Instead I was going to have to trust to my infantry and cavalry to finish the job ... but that meant taking on the fearsome Prussian bluecoats.
But just as suddenly as I realised this, the battle was over when Frederick's von Grevenitz Foot, having turned to confront masses of approaching Austrian cavalry, were charged in the rear by my Los Rios de Guiterez Foot.
The badly outnumbered Prussians were slaughtered, bringing their army past its breaking point.

It's about to be all over

An aerial view of the complete battlefield at the end

Next: Mollwitz afterthoughts


No comments:

Post a Comment