Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Refighting Wissembourg/Weissenburg (part four)

Overview from the south-west at the end of turn seven - the French position on the heights is unchallenged, but the zouaves in Wissembourg are unlikely to hold out much longer

TURN EIGHT
My most successful rolling for reinforcements - a unit of infantry for 1st Corps and a unit of Prussian uhlans for 2nd Corps.
My artillery is still masked but I am able to activate all my other on-table troops, ordering two units of infantry to turn away from the town and instead aim for the heights.
Prussian infantry prepare to ford the Lauter
I still have two infantry units able to fire at Wissembourg, and they score a hit, but Douay is again able to ignore it by rolling a high enough die (a 6 in fact) for resolution. Another unit is able to fire at the dragoons, but a -1 modifier for having moved that turn means it misses.
Douay's artillery at last finds the range of my infantry, scoring a hit that cannot be negated by withdrawing.
The dragoons pull back behind the easternmost heights and so out of harm from Prussian rifle fire.
Zouave firing from the town narrowly fails to score a hit (Douay rolls a 4 but suffers a -1 modifier as the unit is understrength).
After eight turns the Germans have lost 8SP and three units, the French 3SP.

TURN NINE
2nd Corps received more reinforcements, this time an infantry unit.
I do not know why I had not thought of this before, but I activated the 1st Corps gun and advanced it in the hope it can play a role in capturing the heights.
Menwhile I had three infantry units able to fire at Wissembourg, and between them they scored two hits. Douay was able to negate one with his roll to resolve the hit, but the other was fatal, laying low the last of the zouaves.
Wissembourg has been emptied of French troops, and the first Prussian infantry are fording the Lauter
Douay's gun again scored a hit, and again I was forced to remove a strength point from an infantry unit. He had no other moves to make as the infantry next to his artillery is just out of range of the Prussian infantry.
After nine turns the Germans have lost 9SP and three units, the French 4SP and one unit.

TURN 10
Another infantry unit from 1st Corps arrives on the battlefield - the 3rd Garde-Regiment zu Fuss, no less - and a gun from 2nd Corps.
I advance on the heights as much as possible, with two infantry units able to fire, albeit unsuccessfully, at the French artillery.
A race against time as the Prussians approach the heights
Douay's gun again scores a hit on my infantry, causing the loss of a strength point. He is unable to activate his dragoons, which is a missed opportunity as he could have charged my leading unit in the flank. His infantry on the Geisberg, which has the green emplacement, scores a hit on my infantry, causing another strength point to be lost (the unit had nowhere to withdraw to even if I had wanted to do so).
After 10 turns the Germans have lost 11SP and three units, the French 4SP and one unit.
(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment