Friday, February 05, 2021

Geographic History

IT is a long time since I bought National Geographic's History magazine - indeed I am not even sure if I have ever bought it before the latest issue, January/February 2021.
But I found it hard to resist the cover, which promised articles on Homeric weapons, a long-lost Bronze Age culture in what is now Iran, Roman roads, and Napoleonic science in Egypt.
The latest National Geographic History - I had great expectations
The articles did not let me down - I found all of them, including ones I have not mentioned, very good reads.
A highlight was an amusing inscription on a Roman roadside innkeeper's gravestone, which relates a conversation between the deceased and a customer.
Paraphrased, it reads: "The inn's prices are one coin for wine and bread, two for stew, eight for the services of a young woman and two for hay for your mule. The traveller replies: 'This mule will ruin me'."

No comments:

Post a Comment