Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Battle of Chotusitz - the refight (part two)

TURN TWO

The first card turned over from the reshuffled pack is a black queen, meaning 12 activation points for Frederick.
The remaining members of the Brandenburg-Schwedt Cuirassiers fled from the battlefield.
Frederick mostly used his points to advance his front-line infantry and the two limbered guns.
But he had major successes when his Chotusitz gun caused one of my infantry battalions to flee, and his Preussen Cuirassiers followed up their success of the last phase of Turn One by charging my other Modena Cuirassier squadron and eliminating it.
The Prussian bluecoats at last start advancing, along with two of the guns (their limbered status is shown by having been turned around)
The next card is a black jack, giving Frederick 11 activation points.
The Preussen Cuirassiers continued their remarkable run by catching and eliminating the remaining members of the Modena squadron which they had first defeated.
Then Frederick's Garde du Corps Cuirassiers charged and wiped out my Prinz Savoyen Dragoons, although being reduced to half-strength in the process.
The Prussian guns have unlimbered, ready to fire at the first opportunity, while the infantry continue marching forwards
The next card is a red jack, giving me 11 activation points.
My Los Rios Foot rallied just as they were about to exit the table. It will take a further activation point, in a subsequent phase, to put them in firing order.
My gunners' nerve apparently failed them as they failed to score a single hit on the Prussian foot, but my Lothringen battalion rushed into Chotusitz. They fired at the nearby Prussian gun crew but, not being in firing order, failed to hit them.
Chotusitz falls to the Lothringen Foot, who are surely poised to eliminate a Prussian gun
The next card is a red queen, so I get 12 activation points.
On the western wing, my full-strength Batthyányi Dragons charged Frederick's half-strength Buddenbrock Cuirassiers. Both sides inflicted two hits, but that was fine for me as it meant the cuirassiers were eliminated.
On the other wing, the successful run of the Preussen Cuirassiers came to an end when they were caught in the flank and eliminated by my final reserve of cavalry there, the Sachsen-Gotha Dragoons.
My guns had again missed. Even more annoyingly - the dice were definitely not to blame this time - I forgot to leave an activation point for using the Lothringen Foot in Chotusitz.
The Austrian centre awaits the Prussian attack
I have so far lost six units, reducing my strength to 15, but Frederick has lost eight, reducing his strength to 13 - three away from losing the battle.
The next card is a red queen, giving me 12 activation points.
The situation is clearly precarious for Frederick, and there was more bad news when one of my guns at last scored a hit. It was on the Leps-Lehwaldt Grenadiers, who only passed the subsequent morale test thanks to having the King with them and being supported by a battalion in the rear.
This time I did remember my infantry in Chotusitiz, and they duly overran the adjacent Prussian Gun, reducing Frederick to 12 units.
But the Prussians came out on top in a clash of hussars on the western wing - their King's squadron putting my Nádasdy to flight.
View from above the deer park
The next card is a black queen, giving Frederick 12 activation points.
Frederick rallied the final half-battalion of Glasenapp Foot just as it was about to leave the battlefield.
His infantry continued to advance in the centre, with the left-most battalion coming within range of my Deutschmeister-Los Rios Grenadiers. The grenadiers had already taken a hit this move from a Prussian gun, and now took two more from the Lehwaldt Foot. Not surprisingly, they failed their morale test and so broke up completely.
The infantry action in the centre
The next card is a red 10.
The Lehwaldt Foot did not have long to gloat over their success as one of my guns hit them with roundshot. They lost a further 25 percent on failing a morale test, which also caused them to flee.
On the western wing, my Nádasdy Hussars had rallied, but more significantly their colleagues, the Nagy-Károly, charged the Prussian King's Hussars in the flank and destroyed them, although being reduced to half effectiveness in the process.
On the other wing, my Sachsen-Gotha Dragoons used their superior numbers to destroy the remaining Garde du Corps Cuirassiers.
The Prussians were now down to ten units - less than half their starting number - and so had lost the battle.
The scene at the end. The Austrian horse are victorious on both wings, but the infantry battle in the centre looks rather unresolved

To be continued


No comments:

Post a Comment