Monday, September 07, 2020

North & South

MODEL and toy soldiers have been on the back-burner with me for some time, although I have been doing a fair bit of historical and wargaming reading.
Yesterday, for a change of pace, I walked to Moorgate tube station and caught the first Northern Line train that came along heading north.
I got off at West Finchley and, using the position of the sun as my main guide, headed home to Spitalfields.
The distance is 8.7 miles, according to Google Maps, but I certainly did not take the direct route, not least because I wanted to see if the Leisure Games shop is still open in central Finchley.
It is, but I was too early, so I had a coffee and continued south.
Along the way, just before the North Circular. I came across this somewhat saucy-looking statue, whose official name turns out to be La Délivrance.
La Délivrance - known locally as The Naked Lady
A nearby plaque states, apparently incorrectly, that it is a copy of an original made to commemorate victory over the Germans at the Battle of the Marne in 1914.
In fact it seems this is the original statue - bought by Daily Mail owner Viscount Rothermere in 1920 and donated to Finchley Council as a memorial for World War One.
The plaque, with its claim of this being a copy, can be seen below.
The plaque
Nearby is a more sombre and very understated commemoration of children killed in the Nazi holocaust.
Small, like many of the Germans' victims



No comments:

Post a Comment