Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Two Mags

MY recent reading has included the July/August issues of Ancient Warfare and Slingshot.
These publications are consistently two of my favourite reads, and neither of these issues let me down.
Ancient Warfare and Slingshot ... colourful covers and excellent contents
Ancient Warfare is themed around  the Neo-Assyrian Empire, with interesting articles that managed to tell me things I did not know.
Slingshot has more of a mix, with my favourite being Michael Fredholm von Essen's on The Rise And Fall Of Nomad Military Power, marred only by having a ridiculous 80 endnotes (and this is only the first of a two-part series).
Some Slingshot contributors could do with studying how professional writers, such as those in Ancient Warfare, manage to produce an article without indulging in pseudo-academic extravagances.

No comments:

Post a Comment