Friday, April 07, 2017

50mm and all that!

IF you have ever tried buying toy soldiers in a toy shop, you will probably know it isn't as easy as it sounds.
I have lost count of the number of times I have visited Hamleys in London's Regent Street only to find "the world's largest toy shop" has none in stock.
Yes, Hamleys has "collectible toy soldiers," but these are in reality expensive model soldiers - lovely to look at but well beyond the budget of most wargamers.
The picture is much the same when I happen upon a toy store abroad. Last month I was in the upmarket Bavarian spa town of Bad Wörishofen. It has a well-equipped toy store spread over four floors, but again there were no toy soldiers. OK, perhaps that's not so surprising in modern Germany, but it was still disappointing.
I thought the same was going to happen this month with a visit to Jersey in the Channel Islands. While wandering in the capital Saint Helier, looking for a decent cup of espresso, I stumbled upon a promisingly large toy shop, only again to be frustrated.
But the next day - yesterday, in fact - I found a second toy shop, Bombola in Don Street, and bought the bag below for a very reasonable £5.99.
Green and tan WW2 Army Men
The figures are approximately 2in tall, so just shy of 54mm scale, while tanks and jeeps are to a somewhat smaller scale, as is traditional with this sort of plastic toy soldiers.
They are made in China, of course, but distributed by the Lancashire HTI group.
I will open the packet and tally the exact contents when I get back to London, but I am leaning towards working out a D-Day scenario for their first battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment