Thursday, April 20, 2017

D-Day Scenario - The Battle (part four)

TURN FIFTEEN
Tan's infantry killed my remaining three soldiers, and I failed to successfully roll for reinforcements.
TURN SIXTEEN
The leaderless Tan unit, after one turn of halting, now chose to flee, but there were plenty of other Tan infantry closing in on the command post (he has to capture it with infantry by the end of Turn Twenty to win),
I again failed to get reinforcements, despite a +3 modifier.
TURN SEVENTEEN
More of the same.
TURN EIGHTEEN
Tan's troops captured the command post, and I yet again failed to get reinforcements, meaning Tan had won with two turns to spare.
Tan troops capture the now-undefended command post
AFTERTHOUGHTS
I hope I have managed to convey some of the excitement we had playing the battle.
The outcome seemed unclear until almost the last turn. Indeed, had I been able to roll more Green reinforcements towards the end, I might well have held out.
Yes, the rules are relatively simple and there is a lot of dice throwing. But then again, we were playing with plastic Army Men, not trying to create a realistic WW2 simulation.
And when you throw a lot of dice, the luck tends to even out, although I do think I was unlucky with reinforcements. My opponent, you may not be surprised to learn, was of the opinion that the luck did indeed even out.
Were my tactics sound?
In the run-up to the real D-Day there was argument among the German high command as to the best strategy: a) commit as much force to the beaches in an attempt to stop the Allies landing, or b) keep a strong reserve to hit back before a full bridgehead could be established.
The former plan had the disadvantage of spreading troops rather thinly, while the latter plan had the disadvantage of making it easier for the enemy to land.
Since in our scenario Green knows exactly where Tan will land, perhaps I should have put all my infantry on the beach.
If anyone else runs the scenario, I would be fascinated to learn their results.


No comments:

Post a Comment