Thursday, December 19, 2019

Miniature Wargames January 2020

I STOPPED buying glossy wargaming magazines because they stopped including battle reports.
Imagine my excitement, then, to see issue 441 of Miniature Wargames leading on the cover with "an epic 10-page Black Powder battle report."
Miniature Wargames - the Battle of the Nive takes centre stage
I was sorely disappointed.
For starters, the report assumed a familiarity with Black Powder rule-mechanisms that many readers will not have (I own the rules, but I found the report heavy going).
More seriously, the report has no map or overall photo of the two armies' initial dispositions, making it impossible to know what is going on.
Instead we are treated to juvenile cod-historical, and anachronistic, 'bon mots' such as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys!" and "curse you, English swine!"
The rest of the magazine is overrun with sci-fi and fantasy content which, to be fair, is the way a lot of the hobby is heading.
I am probably being too negative, but I expected so much from the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment