Sunday, March 24, 2019

Home To Treats

GOT back from Bavaria earlier this evening to find, as is often the case when I have been away, exciting wargaming things waiting for me.
First up were the April/May 2019 edition of Toy Soldier Collector and the March/April 2019 edition of Slingshot.
Double delight
I have not had time to go through either magazine yet, but promising articles in TSC include Gallant Little Belgium (a Canadian collecting the Belgian army of WW1), Fantastic Plastics (more than the usual number of reviews of new plastic figures) and Rescuing A Dying Hobby (a brigadier-general's views on toy-soldier collecting).
The arrival of the Society of Ancients' Slingshot rarely fails to please. The latest edition includes The Battle Of Thapsus (refought under the Lost Battles system), 6mm Accessories With 3D Printing (using 3D printing to customise model soldiers) and so much more - a quick flick-through of the magazine makes me think I will be avidly reading it cover-to-cover.
My other wargaming acquisition may seem a great deal less exciting, consisting as it does of 120 15mm-square pieces of steel from Products For Wargamers.
This photo, thanks to my smartphone's flash, makes the steel squares look more exciting than is justified - in reality they are of uniform colouring
I had the squares made to order - they are not of a size stocked by Products For Wargamers - to solve a problem with my 10mm mid-18th century armies.
As can be seen in this picture of Austrian infantry assaulting a Prussian-held town, I affix rank-and-file soldiers to (steel) bases but leave officers unbased
I love 10mm for making it possible for me to get the visual appeal of a large battle even though I live in a small flat in central London.
But individual figures, especially infantry, do not take kindly to being asked to stand upright on a gaming cloth.
I ordered 120 15mm-sqaure steel bases for £15.50 from Products For Wargamers so I can give my officers stability. I do not think the bases will be too obtrusive, but time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment