Saturday, March 16, 2019

Konig Ludwig II

LUDWIG II of Bavaria is probably best-known today as the builder of Schloss Neuschwanstein, the castle that was apparently Walt Disney's inspiration for Snow White's Castle at Disneyland.
Neuschwanstein shortly after Ludwig's death in 1886
I have been inside Neuschwanstein twice and Disneyland once, and it is easy to see the similarities, at least from a distance.
Snow White's Castle  - later renamed Sleeping Beauty Castle
However, do not think the Disney version is the more kitschy - Ludwig II had Walt beaten hands down when it came to OTT decoration.
From a 10mm and all that! Project Kaiser viewpoint, Ludwig II is important as being king of Bavaria during the Seven Weeks War of 1866, when Bavaria ended up on the wrong side by supporting its long-time nemesis Austria, and during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71, when Bavaria was on the winning side, but promptly lost its independence by being incorporated into the newly-formed German Empire.
I mention this now as the king's portrait is prominently displayed on the wall of my favourite bar in Bad Wörishofen, a spa town in southern Bavaria.
Ludwig II
I already knew of Ludwig II, having been given a watch with his likeness on it by the Bavarian tourist board 20 years ago - I know the date because I went there just after Man Utd beat Bayern Munich (Bayern München in German) in 1999.

Still going strong … I had a new battery fitted before my latest annual visit to Bad Wörishofen
The king was a Wagner fanatic - another of his eccentricities, castle-building, may well have cost him his life - and stridently anti-Prussian.
I hope to add Bavarian troops to my 'Prussian' forces for my refight of the Franco-Prussian War, but I cannot see Ludwig II's spectre nodding its head with any enthusiasm.

No comments:

Post a Comment