Sunday, June 07, 2020

Developing A Scenario (part eight)

AFTERTHOUGHTS
I do not know if my report has conveyed the excitement we had playing this scenario, but the fact that the result was in doubt to the very last rifle-shot helped make the game a heck of a lot of fun.
Perhaps there being nothing remotely serious at stake only added to the enjoyment.
Certainly it was a relief to me, as the scenario designer, that the game should pan out in such a nail-biting way.
When the rancher riding shotgun was killed early on, and the wagon's horses were slowed by taking a hit, I feared the cowboys would have little chance. But in the end they won with very little blood spilt on either side.
Was the scenario too lacking in blood? I have to admit the number of casualties would have made for a disappointing Wild West movie, at least for a movie of the old school.
But then again a wagon escaping an ambush would only take up one very small part of a movie, the scene lasting under five minutes. 
And I like to think the low mortality rate - except, perhaps, among the horses - is more like how the West really was.
If every wargame I played were this much fun, I would have no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment