Monday, June 22, 2020

Refighting Hohenfriedberg (part 10)

AFTERTHOUGHTS
The first thing I did after the battle finished, and before my opponent could congratulate me on my victory, was to apologise for having got the scenario wrong.
Giving the Prussians seven battalions of regular foot and 1.5 battalions of grenadiers, when the Austro-Saxons had 10 battalions of regular foot and one of grenadiers, was too much of a discrepancy.
The feeling grew on me during the battle that I had got the numbers wrong, and if I were to fight Hohenfriedberg again in similar circumstances I would give the Prussians at least one extra battalion.
Having said that, we thoroughly enjoyed the refight, with the outcome in doubt till the very last roll of the dice.
As my opponent rightly pointed out, the Prussian cause might have fared much better if he had rolled better action-points, or if I had not succeeded in rolling such good ones. Despite having a 10-sided die for his centre action-points, while I only had a normal six-side one, he only rolled more action points than me in three of the 11 rounds.
His right wing, which much as in the real battle in 1745 was victorious over the mainly Saxon left wing, was too slow, thanks to inadequate action points, to prove the decisive factor it so easily could have been.

War of the Austrian Succession - campaign standings after seven battles (Mollwitz, Chotusitz, Sahay, Dettingen, Pfaffenhofen, Fontenoy and Hohendfriedberg)
2pts for a win, plus a bonus point if the win reverses a battle's historical outcome
PLAYERS
                    Wins Losses Bonus Points Total Points Score*
Me                   5        2               4                   14             100%
Opponent         2        5               1                   5              35.7%
NATIONS
Austria              5        0               4                  14            140%
France              2        2               1                   5              62.5%
Britain+             0        2               0                   0               0%
Prussia             0        3               0                   0               0%
 *Score is calculated on the basis that two points a battle counts as 100 percent, so it is possible with bonus points to score up to 150 percent.
+This is the Pragmatic Army, which was led and primarily financed by Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment