Monday, June 29, 2020

History On My Doorstep

WALKING around Austin Friars in the City of London, I spotted a sign saying Dutch Church.
I felt sure I must have seen it before - I have passed near the spot hundreds of times - but apparently without my curiosity being sufficiently aroused to investigate further.
A short walk down a winding alley brought me to the church in question.
The original dates from 1550 and, according to Wikipedia, is the oldest Dutch-language Protestant church in the world.
Indeed, again according to the online encyclopedia, the Nederlandse Kerk is recognised in the Netherlands as the mother of all Dutch reformed churches.
It is built on land, formerly owned by Augustinian friars, given by Edward VI for "Germans and other strangers" who had fled Roman Catholic persecution.
The first superintendent of the congregation was a Pole, Jan Łaski, but Dutch speakers soon dominated.
German planes destroyed the building in 1940, the day after the church's collection of Dutch bibles and other rare books had been removed for safekeeping.
The church, which was rebuilt in the early 1950s, is believed to contain the site of the burial place of the remains of the executed pretender Perkin Warbeck.

No comments:

Post a Comment