Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Solo Empire: Conclusions

I HOPE it goes without saying that I really enjoyed playing Philip Sabin's Empire, and writing it up as I went along.
Previously I had tried the mechanics, and then played a trial game, which went very differently from this one.
In the first game Macedonia had trouble beating the Persians, while Carthage never seriously threatened Rome's consolidated control of ITALIA, even after Hannibal arrived on the scene.
The Macedonians eventually eliminated Persia, but the Romans also eliminated Carthage, and had plenty of time to storm east and score a convincing triumph.
The game I have written up varied considerably, with Macedonia easily crushing Persia and repeating the historic achievement of conquering (west) INDIA.
Carthage also did much better than in my previous game, greatly slowing Rome's ability to expand.
But the game was decided, I believe, when Rome held off from destroying Carthage in order to go against the Macedonians.
As it happened, the Macedonians were to be devastated by a series of untimely revolts as much as by Roman intervention, the net result being a game-win for Carthage.
What I particularly liked about this game was how much of it, including the dramatic late-revival of Persia in the shape of the Parthians, had a historical feel.
I hope to organise a four-player game of Empire in the near future, writing it up on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment