Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Soloing On

I ENJOYED playing the solo version of Philip Sabin's Empire so much that I bought a purely solo game: Mike Lambo's Battles Of The English Civil War.
Striking cover
It comes as a book, and is one of 11 solo, or solitaire, games he has published.
All have received generally positive reviews, but I plumped for his English Civil War book as it won exceptionally good reviews and covers a period of military history that I have looked at in some detail.
The book contains 15 battles, in which the human player is appointed to command either the Royalists or the Parliamentarians.
The other side is commanded by the AI, and it is the strength of the AI in this book that has attracted much praise, apparently being a major improvement over previous versions.
On first reading I can understand why people are excited by the AI - it certainly reads as if it can put up a strong effort.
The proof of the pudding will be in the playing, but I have a promising first impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment