Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Battle of Eckwelt - part five

TURN SEVEN
Defeat seemed inevitable for me as I lost two more battalions - the 1st Winterfeldt and the Grevenitz - reducing my Army Points to 15.
One more point lost and my army would break, and that seemed inevitable when my Buddenbrcck Cuirassiers were charged in the flank by the Dragoons du Roi.. The Dragoons got eight dice to roll thanks to their flank attack, but only managed one hit (a hit requires a score of four or more). The cuirassiers rolled four dice, and scored a hit with each one, destroying the dragoons.
In my half of the turn, I eliminated the Alsace Foot.
The Garde du Corps charged home on the Wittmer Foot, who had been unable to fire in their half of the turn as Saxe had used all his left-flank pips on artillery fire, mistakenly forgetting to leave one for the Swiss infantry - another example of incompetence in the heat of battle! But it hardly mattered - the stout Swiss held firm and repulsed the horsemen.
On my left flank, the Buddenbrock Cuirassiers, elated after their unexpected defeat of the Dragoons du Roi, charged the rallied Languedoc Dragoons, but the melee was indecisive.
The redcoated Swiss foot have seen off Frederick's Garde du Corps, which can be seen fleeing towards the friendly yellow uniforms of the Prinz von Preussen Cuirassiers
Remaining Army Points after Turn Seven:
Prussia 15/30
France: 21/29
TURN EIGHT
The weather remained fair, which is more than could be said for my chances of victory.
In fact I was beaten almost immediately when the Wittmer Foot followed up their melee success by advancing and pouring a devastating volley into the backs of the Garde du Corps. That eliminated the Garde, and brought my Army Points below half of their starting total.
The final scene. It was a truly "French" victory in that the Bavarian contingent of Saxe's army, two squadrons of Hohenzollern Dragoons, can be seen in the foreground in the same position as when the battle started
Next: afterthoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment