Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Battle of Eckwelt - part four

TURN FOUR
French musketry belied its poor reputation by eliminating the Wickradt Foot and causing the Brandenburg-Schwedt battalion to flee. The French did not have it all their own way, however, as the Navarre Foot also broke,
The cavalry melee was more even this turn with my Posadowski Dragoons and the French Gendarmes wiped out, but that leaves my east-flank cavalry heavily outnumbered.
Saxe encourages the French foot to advance
Remaining Army Points at the end of Turn Four:
Prussia: 24/30
France: 28/29
TURN FIVE
The Cuirassiers du Roi caught my Porzellan Dragoons in the flank and destroyed them. But the superior Prussian musketry, combined with some artillery, came into its own this turn, wiping out the Picardie Foot and the Grenadiers de France.
Chasseurs de Fischer enter the Tannenwald, clearly intent on outflanking my right wing
Remaining Army Points at the end of Turn Five:
Prussia: 21/30
France: 24/29
TURN SIX
On my right my Garde du Corps cuirassiers came under fire from two of the French guns, losing 25 percent effectiveness but passing a subsequent morale test. There really wasn't room to withdraw them, and they could not stay where they were and survive, so I sent them charging at Saxe's now-advancing Wittmer Foot.
The remaining soldiers of the Brandenburg-Schwedt fled the battlefield after failing to rally. This was incompetence on my part as I should have sent the figure of Frederick to intercept them, but somehow in the heat of battle it did not occur to me.
On my left there was excitement as a diminished squadron of the Royal-Cravate Cavalerie, fleeing from my Buddenbrock Curiassiers, threw a one on their movement die, reducing their move to 7.5cm under the Move Variation rule. It seemed as if my cuirassiers must catch them from behind, but Saxe had time to interpose the Languedoc Dragoons. The cuirassiers charged them, but could only inflict one hit. The dragoons replied with two hits, but both were cancelled when the cuirassiers' saving throws turned up a pair of sixes! This meant the dragoons had lost the melee, and they fled.
This will surely end in tears - my Garde du Corps begins what must be a death-or-glory charge
Remaining Army Points at the end of Turn Six:
Prussia: 19/30
France: 24/29
to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment