Sunday, July 09, 2017

Slingshot

THE May/June issue of the Society of Ancients' magazine Slingshot arrived yesterday afternoon and, as usual, I have read it in less than 24 hours.
Definitely better late than never
That is not a result of there being few articles of interest, but rather due to most of the articles being exactly what I love to read.
Pride of place in my view goes to Richard Taylor's piece on the meaning of a single word from Plutarch. The article takes up more than five (unillustrated) pages, but is in no sense dry and kept me enthralled to the end.
Now it often happens that an article in Slingshot giving a new interpretation of ancient history meets with a thorough rebuttal in the very next issue, but, for the moment at least, I am convinced by Taylor's claim that "belosphendonai" refers to slung stones rather than "fiery bolts."

No comments:

Post a Comment