Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Battle of Eckwelt - part two

SO what's my plan (apart from kicking myself for going without light troops)?
Clearly I can't squeeze the whole of my army between the two woods, but the space sure looks right for being filled by my foot in two lines.
Saxe will almost certainly put his guns on the Steilerhügel, while I will spread mine between the foremost infantry battalions.
I don't have much choice about it, but in any event I will put most of my cavalry east of the Eichwald, but leave two squadrons as a right flank/reserve.
Overview of the starting position
As you may be able to see from the above photo, Saxe has placed all his horse on his right flank. His light infantry will presumably head for the Tannenwald while the Swiss Wittmer infantry look as if they will support his guns on the Steilerhügel.
A huge cavalry melee can be expected on the east flank of the battlefield, where Saxe has given himself an eight-six advantage in squadrons.
The centre of the battlefield is where the infantry will inevitably clash
Not much action to be expected on the west flank?
My three commands are much as might be guessed: left flank - six cavalry squadrons; centre - eight foot battalions and three guns; right flank - two cavalry squadrons. Frederick is attached to the Lehwaldt Foot and will not need a separate activation pip unless he moves independently.
King Frederick (mounted) with the Lehwaldt
Saxe's three commands are: right flank - eight cavalry squadrons; centre - six foot battalions; left flank - three guns, one foot battalion and the light infantry. Saxe is attached to the Touraine Foot.
Saxe with the Touraine
One final thing before we get underway: the weather.
For historical refights, I use the weather that existed during the real battle. For Eckwelt, I am using a slightly modified version of Charlie Wesencraft's weather gauge as detailed in his books from the 1970s.
I will explain how it works in a later post, but for this game I will simply report that the weather will begin Fair. Any changes will be noted as I report the battle turn-by-turn.
to be continued




No comments:

Post a Comment