Friday, May 01, 2020

Airfix Battles (part two)

My opponent chose to command the Germans, sinking his persona into that of Hauptmann Richard Wald, apparently a bilingual resident of Alsace conscripted into the German army following the Fall of France in 1940.
We each received five command cards - used for activating units - and I won the dice-off for deployment, choosing to be first to deploy a unit, not that it mattered much as we both deployed conservatively with the combined unit of captain and veterans sandwiched between our respective squads.
Both sides deployed
To avoid confusion, ID counters are added so it can easily be seen which unit on the table corresponds to which unit card.
Looking at the Americans with their unit cards and the smaller command cards
The Germans with their unit and command cards
Note that although each player has four unit cards, there are only three units on each side as the captain and veterans have to combine to form a single unit.
Since I won the first-to-deploy dice-off, Wald gets the valour counter. This can be used to re-roll any one of his dice rolls he does not like. Once Wald has used it, the valour counter will pass to me so I can re-roll any one of my dice rolls, and so on.
As usual, I will be writing the game up turn-by-turn.
TURN ONE
Wald won the dice-off for initiative and moved both squads forward one square - terrain restrictions prevented them moving further forward.
My five command cards consist of an interrupt (they can only be used when the opponent is moving) and four orders: mechanised assault, infantry assault and two rapid advances. I used one of the rapid advances to send my left-hand squad into the wood.
Wald advanced his captain and veterans along the dirt road so they regained being in line with his two squads.
I used my mechanised assault card to give a basic order. This can be done with any command card, and in scenario one the two possible basic orders are move or fire. I chose to advance my right-hand squad so it is behind the white house.
All three of Wald's units have received orders this turn, so he has to pass.
I used my infantry assault card to give a basic order, moving the captain and veterans off the dirt road and directly behind my right-hand squad. This ended the turn as my play value is three - meaning I can use a maximum of three command cards in a turn. As it happens, the turn would have ended anyway at this point as all my units had received an order.
Situation at the end of turn one
TURN TWO
Both players start by drawing enough command cards to bring them back to their hand value - the number of command cards you have at the start of a round. I drew an interrupt and two orders: lightning strike and infantry assault.
We diced for initiative, and this time I won. I used the rapid advance card to occupy the white house with my right-hand squad, which was then able to fire their rifles and light-machineguns at the German captain and his veterans. My squad is at full strength, so I got to roll 10 dice - one for each man - plus one extra die, which represents the greater firepower of American squads. I needed to roll a 5 or 6 to score a hit. Much to my surprise, and Wald's consternation, I rolled six 6s, meaning the captain and the veterans were all killed. Since the captain is worth three stars, and the veterans one star, and victory goes to the player who gets three stars, I had well and truly won.
Game over
AFTERTHOUGHTS
Wald looked suitably sheepish at what transpired.
I tried to console him by admitting I had been extremely fortunate with my dice rolling but, as he pointed out, advancing in the open against troops armed with automatic weapons is not exactly the brightest use of resources.
Since this was both players' first go with Airfix Battles, it would be challenging to give a review on such a short experience. But, perhaps strangely, we both thought the game felt very promising - in some ways the quick and brutal resolution gave a sense of realism, rather than leaving us deflated.
One thing is for sure, however - 5in squares are not big enough for Army Men. If we, and we probably will, play another scenario, I will set-up both my wargames tables, enabling me to use a seven-by-five grid with 10in squares. Since a 10in-square has 100 square inches, compared with 25 square inches for a 5in-square, this will give four times as much space for each square.

No comments:

Post a Comment