Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Airfix Battles: Scenario 2 (part three)

The situation at the start of round two
ROUND TWO
We drew our command cards to get our hands back up to five. One of my new ones is a fire interrupt; the other three have special orders: rapid advance, on the double and mechanised assault. Their functions can pretty much be deduced from their names.
Next we rolled for initiative. I won 3-1 after a 1-1 tie.
*I decided to move first, and played the on-the-double command to send my infantry squad forward two squares and then fire at the Germans in Colonel Parker's square. Before they could fire, however, Wald played his stay-frosty card, allowing his captain and veterans to fire at my squad. They scored two hits, which meant my squad had to take a morale check. It failed, so I played the valour counter (this is given to the player who loses the initial dice-off to decide who gets to choose whether to deploy first or second) to re-roll the morale throw. Unfortunately I failed again, so my squad is pinned, which means it cannot fire this turn (and Wald now has the valour counter, which he can use to re-roll a die or a set of dice).
*Wald used a command card to try to rally his pinned pioneers. He failed, played the valour counter for a re-roll, and failed again.
*I used the mechanised-assault order to move my snipers forward one square and then fire at the pinned pioneers. The snipers got the two hits required to finish off the German unit.
*Wald used the sweeping-advance order to first of all get his captain and veterans to fire at my squad. They scored two hits. I played my it-ain't-so-bad interrupt to cancel the two kills, but the squad still had to take a morale test, which thankfully it passed with flying colours (I rolled a 6). Wald used the second part of his sweeping-advance order to send the machinegun section nearer the centre of the battlefield, thus ensuring it had edge cover between it and my units.
*I used my rapid-advance card to send my captain and veterans into the centre square, hopefully to rescue Colonel Parker, and then fire at Hauptmann Wald and his veterans. I scored two hits. They were entitled to saving throws for being behind cover, and both succeeded.
That ended the round as all units on both sides have received orders.
End of round two ... my Americans have captured the objective and now need to hold it against the badly depleted Germans for two rounds

No comments:

Post a Comment