Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Airfix Battles: Scenario 2 (part four)

The situation at the start of round three
ROUND THREE
We dealt the new command cards. I received a hit-the-deck interrupt, which in this scenario can only be used when a unit with A-OK morale suffers a hit while in the open, and three special orders: dig in, on the double and mechanised assault.
We rolled for initiative, and this time Wald won.
*Wald's captain and veterans fired at my men with Colonel Parker, scoring three hits. My men are behind cover and so got saving throws - but I rolled three 1s. They needed to take two morale checks, and ended up being pinned, just like my infantry squad.
*I used my on-the-double order to try to rally the captain and the one surviving veteran, but could only roll a 3 - one shy of the score needed.
*Wald ordered his machinegun section to fire at my captain and veteran. We suddenly realised we were not sure how machineguns fired (the rules do not have a play-through of a battle to show how things work). In the end we agreed each machinegun - the section has two - rolls four dice. They would normally need a 5 to score a hit, but being crackshots they only need a 4. They actually scored four hits, but since my combined unit has only two men, this counted as two hits. My men are behind cover, but neither saving throw worked, so the captain and the last veteran were killed. Fortunately for me, this scenario does not end with the death of a captain, so the game goes on.
*I played my dig-in order to try to rally the pinned squad, but again came up one pip short.
*Both Wald's surviving units have already received orders this round, so it is my turn again. I used the mechanised-assault order to advance my snipers and fire at Hauptmann Wald and his veterans. I scored two hits, one of which was a 'natural' 6, which means Wald does not get a saving throw for that hit even though his men are behind cover. The other hit was saved, however, so only one veteran fell.
This brought the round to a close except, because the Americans have lost their captain, I am only allowed one command card in my hand, which means I have to dispose of one of my two interrupts. I do not need to think about which one as I will anyway dispose of the other one at the start of the next round in the hope of drawing an order card rather than an interrupt one.
Colonel Parker cuts a lonely figure again

No comments:

Post a Comment