Thursday, July 09, 2020

Standard Curry

AFTER enjoying a drink with some of the staff in my favourite 'Indian' restaurant - the Standard Balti House in Brick Lane, East London - I got to thinking about the peculiarity of naming.
For starters, as it were, the restaurant is run by people of Bangladeshi descent rather than Indian, although I guess Indian could be argued as correct if thought of geographically.
But the more interesting point is why this restaurant, and many others like it in Britain, is called Standard.
I have not been able to confirm this but I believe it goes back to the days of the British Raj, and specifically the East India Company.
Locals who wanted to sell products to the company, the story goes, had to have their goods certified as being up to standard, and so the word standard in Indian sub-continental English came to be associated with superior quality.
I cannot recall where I learnt this, but it at least sounds right ...

No comments:

Post a Comment