Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Ever Felt Like You've Been Cheated?

WHEN I take out an annual subscription to a monthly magazine with a promised number of issues, I expect to get said number.
But through my letterbox today came the "Summer Double Issue" of Literary Review.
As if that were not bad enough, it seems to have been edited by idiots without a basic grasp of general knowledge.
For example, a review of three books on swimming states: "The ancient Greeks often triumphed in battle due to their swimming prowess."
On another page we are told someone "studied PPE at Oxford." Did no one think that in today's climate the letters PPE might mean something other than a university course for teens?
I renewed my subscription to Literary Review for another year yesterday. I doubt if I would have done it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment