Saturday, July 18, 2020

Eyes Down, no Up

MY paternal grandfather used to advise me to keep my eyes on the ground when out walking - you never knew when you might spot dropped money.
There is some truth in this - I once found a £20 note - but in London there is more to be seen if you keep your eyes on higher things.
The picture below shows The Chandos pub, which is approximately equidistant between Charring Cross, Trafalgar Square and Leicester Square.

Above it can be seen a working model of a breweryman, or possibly a pub worker, mandhandling a barrel, presumably of beer.
The barrel revolves and the man's head moves, but when it comes to action I have to say the astronomical clock at Olomouc in the Czech Republic is more animated, and I never thought I would have to say that.
Apparently there has been a pub on the site for more than 300 years, but the name has changed, it being called The Chandos, possibly after the Dukes of Chandos, since a rebuild in 1885.

No comments:

Post a Comment