Thursday, July 23, 2020

A Knight To Remember

I BROUGHT a history book with me for my trip to Biel/Bienne: The Greatest Knight - The Remarkable Life Of William Marshal The Power Behind Five English Thrones.
Thomas Asbridge's The Greatest Knight
Without doubt it is one of the best books I have read in a long time - an exciting read made all the better by my almost complete ignorance of Marshal's life.
To describe him as The Greatest Knight might sound like hyperbole, but his life story really does seem like something out of an Arthurian romance, only better!
I will not give away details of what he achieved as I do not want to spoil the fun of reading the book for anyone who might follow my recommendation.
But, apart from a few minor quibbles I had from time to time as I raced through the almost-450 pages, I am very pleased I bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment