Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Boswell & Johnson

ONE of the great things about walking around London is there is so much history - more than can be taken in without great effort.
Wandering through central London the other day I came across this ordinary-looking former bookshop on the edge of Covent Garden.

It turns out to be where James Boswell first met Dr Johnson, prompting the following famous exchange:
Boswell: "Mr Johnson, I do indeed come from Scotland, but I cannot help it."
Johnson: "That, Sir, I find, is what a very great many of your countrymen cannot help."
Boswell's Life Of Samuel Johnson is a great read, but I also thoroughly enjoyed his accounts of travelling through Corsica and, with Johnson, through Scotland.
All three books are definitely on my to re-read list.

No comments:

Post a Comment