Sunday, April 26, 2020

The Battle Of Colonieblanche (part three)

TURN FOUR
My gun at last mounted Petit Haut Rond. There was more good news for the Prussian cause when my 'reserve' infantry advanced and fired at the 2nd Hussars, scoring a hit that claimed a strength point. One of the French defenders in Villejaune was also felled.
The French gun scored a hit on the Prussian infantry directly in front of it. I had the choice of losing a strength point or falling back a square, choosing the latter. The 2nd Hussars charged the infantry that had just fired at them. The cavalry were heavily outnumbered, but the melee was inconclusive. No less than four units of French infantry opened fire on the Prussian infantry that had been forced back by artillery fire. The unit lost two strength points and had to retreat a further square. The infantry in Villejaune, perhaps rattled by having  lost a strength point this turn, missed when they fired at my uhlans.
General view ... the melee is in the near-foreground beside La Grande Colline 

Prussian attack ... on Villejaune
TURN FIVE
My gun fired from the top of Petit Haut Rond, but missed. I cannot help but think poor generalship must be partly to blame for that fact that it has taken me this long to get off even one shot with the longest-ranged weapon on the battlefield. The chevaulegers charged towards the French dragoons, while the nearby melee went in my favour with the last hussar downed. The French in Villejaune lost one strength point and retreated from the town rather than lose a second.
The French gun again scored a hit on my infantry, and I again chose to fall back a square. The dragoons countercharged my chevaulegers, but neither unit scored a hit. French rifle fire from the vicinity of Colonieblanche reduced the nearest Prussian unit by two strength points. The infantry that fell back from Villejaune regained their composure enough to down an uhlan.
Standings: the French have lost four strength points and one unit; the Germans have lost seven strength points but no units.
View from behind ... the massed French units around Colonieblanche
TURN SIX
My gun downed one of the French infantrymen around Colonieblanche. My uhlan unit failed to activate and so missed a golden opportunity to charge the Villejaune infantry in the flank. My two infantry divisions that had been alongside the uhlans turned left to attack Colonieblanche. None of my rifle fire was successful, but in the cavalry melee my chevaulegers scored an unanswered hit on the dragoons, who chose to fall back a square. I exercised my option of following up, meaning there would be another round of fighting in de Saxe's half-turn.
Fighting ... is centring on Colonieblanche
The French gun knocked a strength point off the 3rd Garde-Regiment zu Fuss. De Saxe could have tried putting his left-flank infantry division into the relative safety of Villejaune, but chose instead for them to open fire on the uhlan unit, but they missed. One unit at Colonieblanche turned and fired at the 3rd Garde-Regiment zu Fuss, claiming another strength point, and I lost another strength point from my nearest unit to the town. The swirling cavalry melee continued, but this time it was my chevaulegers who suffered a hit, and I chose to withdraw them. The dragoons followed up, ensuring yet another round of hand-to-hand, or sabre-to-sabre, fighting.
Standings: the French have lost five strength points and one unit; the Germans have lost 10 strength points but no units.
Mounting casualties ... have left the Prussian centre looking rather hollow

No comments:

Post a Comment