Sunday, June 25, 2023

Sands Of Time

BROWSING in a branch of Waterstones earlier this month I came across Libyan Sands - Travel In A Dead World by RA (Ralph) Bagnold.
First published in 1935, it recounts his adventures in the late 1920s and early 1930s exploring the east Sahara by Ford car and truck.
There is not much from a wargaming perspective per se, except for accounts of Arab raids and Italian military operations.
But Bagnold's explorations formed the basis of his founding of the famous Long Range Desert Group of WW2.
Libyan Sands - historical gem
I have been very remiss lately in not posting my usual mini-reviews of books I have read that have a wargaming or history angle.
But this was such a great read that I thought I had to mention it asap.
Bagnold's study of the many sand dunes he came across proved not only useful for military operations but led to him being elected a fellow of the Royal Society.
I was so impressed by the book I have splashed out £24.53 on Amazon's last copy of his follow-up, Sand, Wind, And War - Memoirs Of A Desert Explorer.
Perhaps quite a portion of the second book will repeat sections from Libyan Sands, but there should be plenty of new content, and, as I lived in Libya for three years as a child, I am sure I will find it fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment