Saturday, September 12, 2026

Bible Truths

MY latest charity-shop find is Werner Keller's The Bible As History - Archaeology Confirms The Book Of Books.
First published in West Germany in the mid-1950s, it was quickly translated into many languages, becoming an unlikely international bestseller.
The book is a real eye-opener for anyone who has not read the Bible (the vast majority of the world's population, even in nominally Christian countries) and who is not well-versed in ancient history.
Keller was not a theologian, nor a historian, but rather a civil servant and journalist, as well as a former anti-Nazi resistance fighter (yes, there were some in Germany).
In The Bible As History he collates the growing body of archaeological evidence, much of it uncovered in the pre-WW2 and immediate post-WW2 periods, that confirmed stories in what are generally regarded as the Old and New Testaments, as well as the arguably non-canonical Books of Maccabees.
These finds include the Merenptah Stele (the name of ancient Egyptian pharaoh is now more normally rendered as Merneptah), a granite slab dating from about 1205 BC, which contains the first known mention outside of the Bible of Israel.
Inevitably archaeology has moved on a great deal in the last 70 years, and much of what was new and exciting in the 1950s is now old and, in some cases, superseded by more up-to-date information.
Keller does not concern himself with parts of the Bible he clearly regards as fairytales, but he explains how matters long regarded as, at best, far-fetched, such as manna from Heaven, and the parting of the River Jordan and the 'Red Sea', could easily have happened in nature, without divine intervention.
I bought the book for £2.99 - as usual, I cannot recall where - believing it to be different from a book I already owned on the same theme.
A hardback bargain
However, I have been unable to locate the earlier book, and I now suspect it was another edition of the same work, that perhaps I had only borrowed from a library.
Whatever the case, it is a great read, although I confess to not having gone through the New Testament section as I was mainly interested in the military and military-related details of the Old Testament.

No comments:

Post a Comment