Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Hunters' Ridge - Turn III: Attack Phase

The battle could conceivably end with a Roman defeat this turn
There are two ways I could lose - a) a Dacian warrior unit wins a melees and advances to occupy the vacated hex, b) my commander is killed (this always loses the battle).
I start with my archers, shooting at the left-flank warriors, needing 8+, but with -1 for being on higher ground. I come up short with 6.
The furthest-forward Dacian archers cannot shoot as trees block line-of-sight, but the unit by the pond can fire at my leading Praetorians, as friends do not block line-of-sight. Archers against Praetorians need 9+, and there is a +1 modifier for being on lower ground. The AI's dice total 6.
My commander then attacks the leading warriors in the centre, needing 6+, but with a -1 modifier for being on higher ground, and another for a friendly unit also being adjacent to the enemy. But there are +1 modifiers, for attacking into trees and for attacking from rocky ground. The dice total 7, meaning the warriors are driven back two hexes.
My Praetorians attack the warriors in the shallow pond, needing 5+, but with -1 for being on higher ground. I roll 10, eliminating the enemy unit.
The threat in the centre has been seen off, at least for now, but the Roman right is still in peril

No comments:

Post a Comment