Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Hunters' Ridge - Turn IV

Action on the Roman right could prove critical
The start-of-turn-event die lands as a 6, which allows me a ballista shot at the leading Dacian unit, which is the left-flank cavalry. I need 7+, with no modifiers, and if successful, will force the enemy to fall back three hexes. I duly roll 9, and the cavalry are no longer an immediate threat to clamber onto the ridge.
I start the movement phase my leaving my archers where they are.
Both right-flank units of Dacian archers advance diagonally, but the others stay still, including the men by the pond, who have Praetorians in range and line-of-sight.
My right-flank cavalry advance diagonally a hex, and then charge-attack the warriors at the foot of the ridge, needing 6+. There is a -1 modifier for being on higher ground, but this is cancelled for attacking from rocky ground. I roll 8, sending  the warriors fleeing three hexes. I do not allow my men to advance.
I then move my commander back off the ridge, and one hex to the left, so he is in command range of my left-flank cavalry as it advances diagonally, and then straight ahead, to charge-attack the swordsmen, needing 7+. I roll exactly 7, making the swordsmen fall back two hexes. My cavalry are then out of command range, and so have to occupy the vacated hex, which puts them in contact with archers in the wood.
The left-flank Dacian cavalry cannot move as they have retreated this turn, and the other mounted unit cannot advance straight ahead as its route is blocked by the retreating swordsmen (both attempts at activation had the horsemen wanting to move straight ahead).
My leading Praetorians fall back diagonally left so as to stay on the ridge, but be out of range of the archers who shot at them last turn.
The extreme-right falxmen advance, and so do the furthest-forward warriors.
The Roman line is not as neat as it was, but immediate danger to the ridge has passed

No comments:

Post a Comment