Saturday, October 03, 2026

Hunters' Ridge - Turn VIII: Attack Phase

I need to make my advantage count in the centre, so I can redeploy my men to meet threats of the flanks 
My archers begin by shooting at the nearby cavalry, needing 9+, but with -1 modifiers for being on higher ground and for the enemy being in contact with another Roman unit. However, I roll 4.
The forward Dacian archers shoot at my furthest-right Praetorians (their preferred target of the three available), needing 9+. There is a -1 modifier for help from warriors, but a +1 for being bowmen engaged at close range. The dice total 6.
The Dacian archers in trees on the hill on the Dacian left shoot at my archers, needing 7+, but with a +1 for being on lower ground. However, they roll 11, eliminating my my unit.
My cavalry attack the Dacian horsemen to their front, needing 8+, but with a -1 for being on higher ground. I roll 8, forcing the cavalry back two hexes. My men do not advance.
My Praetorians next to the commander attack the archers, needing 6+. There are -1 modifiers for having two friendly units in contact with the Dacians, and another -1 for attacking while adjacent to the commander. But there is a +1 for attacking into trees. I roll 10, easily destroying the bowmen. The Praetorians do not occupy the vacated hex.
The next unit of Praetorians attacks the warriors, needing 5+. There is a -1 thanks to the warriors already being engaged with another Roman unit, but this is cancelled out for attacking into trees. I roll 7, forcing the warriors to retreat three hexes. My men do not advance.
Losing my archers is a grievous blow, and my forward Praetorians are vulnerable to a charge from the Dacian right-flank cavalry

No comments:

Post a Comment