Saturday, October 10, 2026

Hunters' Ridge - Turn XII

Nothing changed in the attack phase last turn, and suddenly I am just a turn from victory, provided I can stop any Dacians ascending the ridge 
The start-of-turn-event die is a 6, which gives me another ballista attack. Again, it cannot be used against the meleeing cavalry or the falxmen in trees, so I have to shoot at the left-flank warriors, but I roll 6, one short of the minimum needed.
Three Dacian archer units advance, but the forward unit on the Dacian left is happy where it is as it has my commander in its sights.
There is no point in moving my cavalry, but I move my commander off the ridge, so he cannot be shot at.
The Dacian cavalry by the pond enter it, and have to immediately halt (mounted troops always stop on entering a water or tree hex).
My forward Praetorians remain where they are. There is no point in moving them as the outcome of the battle depends on whether the forward falxmen on the Dacian right clamber onto the ridge (note that the Dacian cavalry, even if it should execute a successful attack in the attack phase, would not then ascend the ridge as Dacian cavalry never advance in such circumstances).
So it all comes down to the falxmen at the foot of the ridge. A die is rolled, and it lands as a 4, which, as last turn, only allows diagonal movement, which is not possible for the unit, so, against incredible odds, or so it seems to me, I have won.

No comments:

Post a Comment