Monday, August 24, 2026

Hill Of Watchfires - Turn IV

Both sides have lost a unit, but it had better not become a battle of attrition, because if it does, I will be doomed
The start-of-turn-event die is a 1, which allows Dacian archers to perform a surprise attack, but none have a suitable target as only my cavalry are in range, and line-of-sight to them is obstructed by trees.
However, it is the Dacian archers, with an initiative number of 2, that get to activate first, but none move.
I advance my commander onto the hill at its western extremity, so he can keep the Roman cavalry in command range. I then send the leading cavalry unit to charge-attack the swordsmen lurking just off the hill. They need 7+ to score a hit, and I roll 8, which forces the Dacian unit to retreat to the very edge of the battlefield. My other cavalry advance two hexes diagonally right and charge-attack the archers at the north end of the hill, needing 6+. I roll exactly 6, forcing the archers to retreat two hexes, taking them off the hill.
Both units of Praetorian Guards advance diagonally right.
The Dacian swordsmen cannot activate as they have already retreated this turn, so I now roll three dice to see where my out-of-command legion can move. The dice land 5, 2, 1, and so, using the compass, I can advance the legionaries straight ahead.
The rearward falxmen advance a hex, and I leave my spearmen to hold their ground in the wood.
Finally, two of the warrior units, seeing that the main action is likely to take place at the west end of the hill, start moving in that direction.
The Dacian left is still very strong, but can the AI successfully coordinate tribesmen against Rome's professional troops? 

No comments:

Post a Comment