Friday, May 17, 2019

Abwinkl War Memorial

CONTINUING my visit to Bad Wiessee, which is beside the Tegernsee in Bavaria, I took advantage of a spell of good weather - it has been raining and cold much of the time - to head into the mountains.
My plan was just to walk along the town's panoramaweg, but then I decided to head up to Bauer in der Au at 904m.
However, it soon became clear from signposts that the restaurant or mountain hut supposed to be there was no longer open.
Since I had set off at about 1pm, without having lunch, I switched plans again and headed further up to Aueralm at 1270m.
I knew Aueralm consisted of a "mountain cabin" as I passed it last year when ascending the Fockenstein (1564m).
Fortunately the cabin was open (it turned out it closes on Mondays) and I enjoyed a lentil soup and large slice of blueberry cheesecake.
I had reached Aueralm via a different route from the one I took last year, so decided to descend by last year's route.
But I only had walking shoes without ankle support and no walking pole, and soon decided there was too much snow on the ground to make that route advisable.
Instead I came back down to the lake, and so to Bad Wiessee, via Abwinkl, which, depending on your temperament, could be called a large village or a small town.
This proved a good choice as Abwinkl has an interesting modern war memorial, liberally decorated with Iron Crosses.
Abwinkl - modern war memorial
There are many more names listed for WW2 than for WW1, including some who died in the early months of 1946.
It is not clear if these last deaths were military personnel who died of their wounds, or perhaps as Soviet prisoners. From the way precise dates are given, I would guess the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment