Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Interesting Book

I LOVE espresso, and these days there is a huge choice of where to get it, although the quality varies immensely.
While in Gloucester over the bank-holiday weekend I remembered my favourite place for an espresso in the city, based on my visit last year, is Coffee#1.
(You might think coffee is very much the same wherever you get it, and there is some truth in that if you add milk to your drink - but not if you like your coffee straight).
As with a lot of independent outlets, Coffee#1 has shelves lined with job-lots of second-hand books.
I usually give these a glance, just in case something piques my interest, and I hit the jackpot yesterday with a large volume on Petra.
Pretty Petra
Having been to the ancient city, and being interested in Nabatean culture, I settled down for a good read in the short time I had available.
The book was first printed in 1972, if I recall correctly, so much of its information has probably been superseded. But I sped through the first 60 pages, finding author Iain Browning's account fascinating.
I now have to make a decision on whether to buy a copy of the book via Amazon (from £3.07), or to save it as reading material when, as is likely, I visit Gloucester next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment