Sunday, May 12, 2019

Recommended Read

FINALLY got around to reading Jonathan Clements' A Brief History Of Khubilai Khan - Lord Of Xanadu, Emperor Of China, which I bought in March in Hampstead for £3.99, marked down from £8.99.
My current trip to Bavaria gave me the necessary spare time, helped today by it literally raining non-stop, and the book has proved a riveting read.
Khubilai … part of publisher Robinson's A Brief History series
I cannot claim to have more than a passing general knowledge of the Mongols, but Clements' treatment of his subject comes across as balanced and dispassionate, not being afraid to point out where sources are contradictory and/or problematic.
There is little in the book for wargamers per se - no battle maps, for example - but I found the whole description of Mongol warfare and life to be engrossing.
I will certainly look out for more books by Clements, and for more on the Mongols.

No comments:

Post a Comment