Wednesday, October 16, 2024

More Napoleonic Wargaming

I HAVE decided to refight the 20 scenarios from Mike Lambo's solo wargaming book Battles Of Napoleonic Europe ... but with a twist.
This time, instead of using the maps and counters supplied in the book, I plan to refight the scenarios with 10mm model soldiers on a hex grid laid on top of one of my wargaming tables.
Lambo's maps use a grid that is 10 hexes wide and eight or nine hexes deep, as shown in the following image.
Map for the book's first scenario, in which the player commands Anglo-Portuguese forces advancing from the bottom of the map
My first task was to recreate the basic grid, and I have done this with textured hexes, a system known as Hexon II, from Nottinghamshire-based Kallistra.
The hexes measure 100mm (3.9in) across, and I chose ones coloured to give a grass-and-earth effect.
Here is my first order, straight out of the box and upside down, but showing how they come in groups of six
I got my order hopelessly wrong in that I ordered far too many sixers, and anyway could not make the required grid with them alone.
So I had to order some individual hexes to complete the exact grid, which I felt was worth it, although I could have easily put together enough sixers to make the grid and simply ruled that certain hexes were out of bounds.
The finished grid (the hexes are held together by out-of-sight clips) with Lambo's book alongside
To be continued

2 comments:

  1. Excellent - can’t wait to see this progress Tim. Cheers, Mike Lambo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks - I think that, as eye candy goes, it is working well!

      Delete