Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Four-Player Empire: Introduction & Turn One

AFTER my solo games of Philip Sabin's Empire late last year, I was excited to try a four-handed version, and I have now assembled the players.
As well as myself and my regular wargaming opponent, there are two of our mutual friends: Richard Johnson, a security consultant, and Andy, a serving officer in Britain's armed forces.
I explained the basic rules of the game, which is set in an extended Mediterranean world from 350-150 BC, here.
How our part of the world looks in 350 BC - Persians dominate the east and Carthaginians rule the west, but Rome and Macedon are poised to rise 
As usual I will write up the game turn by turn, and the first thing to do is to draw for sides.
*****
I have drawn Carthage, my regular opponent has drawn Persia, Richard has drawn Rome, and Andy gets Macedon.
TURN ONE (350-340 BC)
The revolt dice pinpoint Sicilia, but as that is already independent there is no effect.
Rome is drawn first, but cannot do anything as the Romans first need to consolidate their control of ITALIA, and to do that they must roll a score lower than the turn number, which is impossible on turn one.
The Persians are drawn next, and they make the obvious choice of attacking AEGYPTUS, which counts double victory points and is the only province they can attack outside of their starting empire without suffering a -2 modifier. The roll is a very convincing 6 (4 or more is needed).
The Macedonians attack Graecia, which they must have if they are to get the best out of having a great captain  (Alexander the Great) on the next two turns, but they narrowly fail with a roll of 3.
I attack Sicilia, but the expedition is a fiasco as the fleet is apparently lost at sea (I roll a 2, when 3 or more is needed).
Situation at the end of a turn in which only Persia has prospered

No comments:

Post a Comment