Monday, April 17, 2023

Four-Player Empire: Turn 14 (220-210 BC)

Situation in 220 BC
This is the turn in which Carthage gets Hannibal as a great captain, meaning I can launch five campaigns, each with a +2 modifier.
But first the revolt dice fall again on Numidia, so I spend my first campaign reconquering that province. Next I conquer Gallia, and then attack Cisalpina.
I have my +2 modifier, and having a great captain means there is no -1 modifier for attacking a controlled province, but there is a -1 modifier for a Carthaginian campaign outside of the city's original empire. All of that means I need to roll 3 or better, and I succeed with a 4.
I use my fourth campaign to attack ITALIA, which has a special rule meaning success would not capture the province but would cause every other Roman-controlled province to revolt and become neutral.
My +2 great-captain modifier is cancelled by -1 for attacking outside the original Carthaginian empire, and a further -1 for attacking a controlled homeland. I therefore need 4 or better, and succeed with a 5, meaning Magna Graecia, Sicilia and Graecia become independent.
With my final campaign I try to invade Sicilia, but the naval crossing fails on a roll of 1.
The Macedonians conquer INDIA on a roll of 5, an important gain as the province is worth two victory points.
The Parthians fail to pull off a rebellion in their homeland.
The Romans invade Cisaplina, which for them does not carry the usual -1 modifier for attacking a controlled province, so they only need a 3 as they have a +1 modifier on this turn for not having a great captain, and 3 is what is rolled.
Carthage has setback Roman expansion, but it will it be the Macedonians who ultimately benefit?

No comments:

Post a Comment