Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Cheriton Play-Through: Turn Eight

Situation at the end of turn seven
My six dice give me 6, two 5s, two 4s and 3. I reroll the 4s, getting 1 and another 4.
Naturally I allocate the 6 to the demoralised horse, and I give attack-dice to the artillery and forward muskets. The two move-dice I give to the backward pikes and muskets, and the final attack-die goes to the forward pikes, not that they will be able to use it.
I could have given the forward pikes a move-die, but for them to more-or-less attack on their own would almost certainly end in tears.
I start by rallying the horse, then use the artillery to fire at the Parliamentarian muskets in their line-of-sight, needing 8+, reduced by three thanks to support from pikes, horse and muskets, but increased by one thanks to firing through trees. Unfortunately I roll 3.
My forward muskets fire at the same target, also needing 6+, and I roll exactly 6.
Finally the backward pikes and muskets advance a hex.
The Royalist offensive seems to be running out of steam
The demoralised Parliamentarian muskets fail to rally, and so flee to the edge of the battlefield.
The left-flank Parliamentarian muskets fire at my right-flank pikes, needing 8+, rolling 12, sending the pikes off the battlefield.
The right-flank Parliamentarian muskets fire at the pikes in front of them, needing 8+, reduced to 7+ thanks to support from friendly pikes, and they roll exactly 7.
The forward Parliamentarian pikes charge my horse, needing 7+, reduced to 5+ thanks to support from two units of muskets, and roll 7, demoralising my horse and sending them back two hexes.
The rearward Parliamentarian pikes advance a hex.
The Royalist cause looks hopeless

No comments:

Post a Comment