Friday, August 04, 2023

Cheriton Play-Through: Turn Three

Situation at the end of turn two
My six dice - I have lost a unit - give me two 5s, 4, 3 and two 2s. I need a 6 to rally the horse, so I reroll the 2s and get 6 and 4. That allows me to allocate suitable dice to every unit except the right-flank pikes, who get an attack-die they cannot use.
I start by rallying the horse, and then fire the artillery at the pikes in their line-of-sight, needing 8+, reduced to 7+ thanks to being on higher ground, and roll 9, demoralising the pikes and forcing them back two hexes.
The left-flank pikes charge the foremost Parliamentarian horse, needing 7+, reduced to 5+ thanks to support from horse and muskets, and I roll exactly 5.
My right-flank muskets fire at the foremost pikes, needing 5+ thanks to support from muskets, horse and pikes (the pikes are not pinned as the Parliamentarian horse next to them are demoralised), and further reduced to 4+ thanks to being on higher ground, but I roll 2.
The other muskets fire at the same pikes, also needing 4+, and I roll 5, demoralising the pikes and sending them back a hex.
My horse charge the demoralised Parliamentarian horse, needing 8+, reduced by two thanks to support from pikes and muskets, and a further one thanks to the enemy being demoralised, and I roll 9, which destroys the Parliamentarian horse as it is a second hit on a demoralised unit.
The Parliamentarians have suffered something of a bloody nose
The right-flank Parliamentarian horse charge my horse, needing 8+, and roll exactly 8.
The other Parliamentarian horse advance two hexes towards my right-flank horse, and two of the Parliamentarian musket units advance.
The foremost Parliamentarian pikes fail to rally and so flee to the edge of the battlefield, the good-morale pikes remain hiding in trees, and the other demoralised pikes fail to rally and so leave the battlefield.
Definitely a turn that favoured the Royalists

No comments:

Post a Comment