Thursday, August 03, 2023

Cheriton Play-Through: Turn Two

Situation at the end of turn one
My seven dice give me two 6s, 5, 3 and three 2s.
I allocate the attack-dice to the artillery and the two central units of muskets, and the move-dice to the rest.
The artillery start by firing at the rearmost Parliamentarian muskets, needing 8+ (the bonus of attacking from higher ground is cancelled by having to fire through trees), but roll 5.
The right-flank foot each advance one hex directly forward, while the left-flank pikes advance obliquely to the left.
My horse charge the foremost Parliamentarian horse, making sure they leave space for the pikes to support them. Since two units of muskets can also give support, my horse need 5+, and I roll 10, demoralising the Parliamentarian unit and driving it from the field.
The rearmost of the two central musket units fire at the nearest enemy pikes, needing 6+ thanks to support from horse and muskets, but increased to 7+ thanks to the target being in trees, and I roll 6.
The further forward muskets fire at the same target, also needing 7+, but again I roll 6.
A reasonable start for the Royalists, but now the Parliamentarians get to strike back
My horse are charged by the nearest Parliamentarian horse, who need 7+ thanks to support from pikes. They roll 8, demoralising my men and causing them to flee a hex.
The other cavalry advance, converging on the centre of the battlefield (they are trying to close on my artillery).
Two of the musket units also advance, again favouring concentrating in the centre.
The foremost Parliamentarian pikes charge my furthest forward muskets, needing 7+, reduced to 5+ thanks to support from two units of horse, and roll 9, sending my men fleeing from the battlefield.
The other pike units advance, one obliquely to the left and the other to the right.
The early exchange of blows has favoured the Parliamentarians

No comments:

Post a Comment