Sunday, April 07, 2024

Battle Of Fuentes De Oñoro - Allied Playthrough: Turn Four

Situation at the end of turn three
My activation dice land 6, 3 and 1. I turn wildcard 6 into 4.
In area 1 my backward infantry advance a hex and attack the three-strength French cavalry. The three dice are increased for attacking from an adjacent hex after moving. I roll 6, 4, 3 and 1, reducing the enemy to two-strength and forcing them back a hex. The other infantry advance a hex and attack the withdrawing French, getting five dice - one more than their colleagues thanks to being on higher ground. I roll 5, 4, two 3s and 2, reducing the French to one-strength and forcing them back another hex.
My artillery fire at the French artillery, but I roll two 1s.
In area 4 my cavalry attack the one-strength French, the five dice being increased for being next to Wellington, but decreased for the enemy being in cover. I roll three 6s and two 4s, eliminating the French unit. The two-strength infantry fire at the nearest French, the three dice being increased for being next to Wellington. I roll two 6s, 3 and 1, eliminating the enemy unit. The other infantry advance obliquely left in the hope of joining my left wing. Wellington stands pat.
One village is occupied by the Allies, at least for now, but the situation on the Allied left looks tricky to say the least
The AI's activation dice are 6, two 3s and 2. The 6 and a 3 are rerolled, but become two more 6s.
In area 2 the forward infantry fire at the nearest British infantry, their four dice being increased for being next to Marshal Masséna. They roll two 4s and three 1s, forcing my unit off the hill. The cavalry canter through Fuentes de Oñoro and charge my remaining infantry on the hill, rolling two 6s, two 4s and 2, reducing my unit to one-strength and also forcing it off the hill. Masséna remains where he is, supporting three French units. The backward infantry roll 2, advancing to be next to Fuentes de Oñoro.
In area 3 the artillery fire at my cavalry, which is their nearest target. Their two dice are increased for being next to the commander, but reduced for firing through trees and for the target being in cover. They roll 6, reducing my unit to one-strength. The infantry roll 5, advancing  a hex. They want to fire at my cavalry, but their two dice would be cancelled by the intervening trees and the buildings. Instead they fire at Wellington, the two dice being decreased for the target being in trees. They roll 4, but commanders do not retreat, so there is no effect.
I clearly got the balance of my two columns wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment