Saturday, April 06, 2024

Battle Of Fuentes De Oñoro - Allied Playthrough: Turn Three

Situation at the end of turn two
My activation dice land 4, 3 and 1, which is as good as I could get.
In area 1 my forward infantry advance a hex and attack the nearest French cavalry. The three dice are increased for attack from an adjacent hex after moving and for being on higher ground. I roll 6, 4, 3, 1 and 1, reducing the enemy to two-strength and forcing it back a hex. My other infantry in area 1 advance.
My artillery fire are the French directly to their front, rolling 5 and 1, reducing the enemy to two-strength.
In area 4 my cavalry boldly rush through the trees to their front and through Poço Velho to charge the infantry in the trees behind the village. The six dice are decreased for the target being in cover, and I roll two 5s, 3 and two 1s, reducing the enemy to one-strength. Wellington advances into the trees ahead of him. The forward infantry advance a hex and fire at the French to the right of Poço Velho wood. Their four dice are decreased for moving, but increased for being next to the commander, and I roll 5, 3 and two 1s, reducing the enemy to two-strength. The other infantry in area 4 advance a hex.
I have drawn first-blood, but not managed to eliminate an enemy unit
The AI's activation dice are two 4s, 3 and 1. A 4 is rerolled, but becomes 1.
In area 1 the cavalry want to attack the enemy nearest Fuentes de Oñoro, a random roll of a die meaning they climb the hill first. They roll three 6s, 5, 4 and 3, eliminating my advanced infantry. The infantry roll 3, advancing a hex.
In area 3 the forward two-strength infantry want to fire at my cavalry, but their two dice would be reduced to none because of the cover enjoyed by the latter. The same applies to firing at my commander, so instead they fire at the forward Allied infantry in area 4. Since the target is infantry, they get three dice, landing 6, 2 and 1, reducing my infantry to two-strength. The artillery roll 5, advancing obliquely right to put my artillery in range and line-of-sight. The other two-strength infantry roll 5, advancing obliquely left to be nearer my cavalry. Marshal Masséna advances two squares obliquely right so he supports four French units.
In area 4 the one-strength infantry attack my cavalry. Their two dice are decreased thanks to my unit being in cover, but they roll 5, reducing my unit to two-strength. The three-strength infantry fire at the same target, their three dice being decreased for firing through trees and for the target being in cover, and they roll 1.
The Allied left looks desperately undermanned

No comments:

Post a Comment