Sunday, February 19, 2023

Baddock Down Play-Through: Turn Three

Situation at the start of turn three
My six dice - one each for my remaining units - give me a 5, four 4s and a 2. I have to re-roll the 4s as I need 6s to rally two demoralised units, but I get another 5, two 2s and a 1.
I allocate the 5s so my left-flank units can attack, and also so I can move my undemoralised muskets out of the way of the fleeing pikes, so the latter will stay on the battlefield.
Dice allocated, including, for completeness, useless move-orders for the unrallied foot
I first of all move the undemoralised muskets to their left. The demoralised muskets flee the battlefield, but there is just space for the demoralised pikes to remain.
I then move the undemoralised right-flank pikes to charge the left-flank Parliamentarian cavalry, requiring 7+ to hit, reduced by one thanks to support from the muskets. I roll 10, demoralising the cavalry and forcing them to flee to high ground at the top edge of the battlefield.
My left-flank pikes attack the cavalry adjacent to them, requiring 7+, reduced by two thanks to support from units of cannon and muskets. I again roll 10, demoralising the cavalry and also forcing them to flee to the top edge of the battlefield.
My cannon unit shoot at the muskets in their line-of-fire, requiring 8+. I only roll 5, but nevertheless my fortunes this turn have vastly improved.
The Parliamentarians are in grave danger of seeing two cavalry units leave the battlefield, and meanwhile their other surviving horse unit is very isolated
In a do-or-die bid for glory, the advanced Parliamentarian cavalry charge my muskets, requiring 6+. They get it, but no more, so the muskets are demoralised but do not flee.
One of the demoralised cavalry units flees the battlefield, but the other rallies on a roll of 5 (5 or 6 is required for an AI unit to rally).
Most of the Parliamentarian foot advance, but are some distance from Royalist lines.
It is hard to see how the Royalists can win, even if I manage to rally my retreating units

No comments:

Post a Comment