Tuesday, February 07, 2023

Battle Of Edgehill Play-Through: Turn Three

Situation at the start of turn three
My seven dice give me a 6, three 4s, a 3 and two 1s. I re-roll the 4s but get a 6 and two 5s, which is no improvement as I only need one attack order.
I allocate the 6 to the cannon, and allocate the move dice, ie the 3 and the two 1s, to my right-flank units.
Dice allocated
I start by firing the cannon unit at the pikes directly in its line-of-fire, rolling exactly the 8 needed for a hit, which means the pikes are demoralised but do not flee.
On the right I advance the cavalry and the muskets and then the pikes, with the last named charging the Royalist cavalry in the trees.
Pikes need 7+ to hit cavalry, but here they get support from the Parliamentarian cavalry and muskets, which are both in attack range. That reduces the hit score to 5+, but it rises to 6+ thanks to the defenders being in trees,
I roll 7, so the Royalist cavalry are demoralised and flee one hex.
The Parliamentarian right flank surges forward
The right-flank Royalist cavalry move two hexes towards the Parliamentarian cannon, but the left-flank cavalry fail to rally and so fall back two hexes to the top edge of the map.
The furthest forward Royalist muskets fire at the Parliamentarian right-flank muskets. They need 8+ to score a hit, reduced to 7+ thanks to receiving support from the right-flank cavalry, which is in attack range - two hexes - of the Parliamentarian muskets.
The AI rolls exactly 7, demoralising my muskets but not forcing them to flee.
The furthest-back unit of muskets advances to the edge of the higher ground, where the remaining musket unit waits.
Only one of the Royalist pike units advances, but the demoralised unit rallies on a throw of 6.
Royalists are counterattacking

No comments:

Post a Comment