Wednesday, February 08, 2023

Battle Of Edgehill Play-Through: Turn Four

Situation at the start of turn four
My seven dice give me a 6, a 5, two 4s, a 3, a 2 and a 1.
I know I will use the 6 to rally my demoralised musketeers (only a 6 will do this for a human-controlled unit), and I allocate the 5 to the artillery.
I re-roll the 4s, but get two 6s, so effectively no change. I give one of these 6s to the other musket unit, and the move-order dice to both the pike units and the right-flank cavalry. This leaves me with a useless 6, but one cannot have everything.
Dice allocated
After rallying the demoralised musketeers, I shoot the artillery at the nearer pike unit in its line-of-fire.
This requires 7+ for a hit, reduced to 5+ thanks to support from two units of muskets (both are within their three-hex range of the pikes).
I roll a 7, demoralising the pikes and forcing them to flee two hexes (the difference between the hit score required and the actual die roll), leaving them on the edge of the battlefield as they have to pass through the two units in their line of retreat.
I then advance the right-flank pikes into the trees and charge the enemy pikes. This requires 8+ for a hit, but reduced to 6+ thanks to support from a unit of muskets and a unit of cavalry. Unfortunately I roll a 2.
I next move the right-flank cavalry so it can charge the same pike unit. Cavalry need 9+ against pikes, but this is reduced to 7+ since they are being supported by units of pikes and muskets. Unfortunately I roll a 3.
My left-flank pikes enter the trees in front of them and charge the right flank Royalist cavalry, needing 7+, reduced to 5+ thanks to receiving support from two units of muskets.
My roll of 10 demoralises the cavalry and forces them off the field of battle since they have to retreat five hexes.
My remaining musket unit has no one in range, and so its attack die is wasted.
Royalists are in retreat
The AI fails to rally its remaining cavalry unit (a throw of 5 or 6 with a single die is required), which retreats off the battlefield.
The leading musket unit fires at the Parliamentarian pikes next to it, requiring 8+, reduced by 3 for having support from a Royalist unit of pikes and two of muskets, but increased back by 1 for the target being in trees.
The AI rolls a 10, demoralising my pikes and forcing them to flee four hexes to the bottom edge of the battlefield.
The other Royalist muskets refuse to advance, apparently feeling they are doing their duty offering support from higher ground.
The left-flank Royalist pikes attack my right-flank cavalry, needing 7+, reduced by 1 for having support from muskets.. The AI rolls 6, demoralising the cavalry.
The other morale-good pikes advance, but the demoralised pikes fail to rally and so leave the battlefield.
The Royalist army is down to five units

No comments:

Post a Comment